Roasted red pepper, fresh basil and creamy mozzarella cheese make this chicken dish a foodie’s dream. I like to roast my own peppers on the grill until they are blackened. Then I place them in a brown paper bag for 5 minutes to let them steam before washing the pepper in cold water to take off the charred skin. The combination of fresh summer peppers along with garden basil and tender juicy chicken will have you making this recipe lots of times this summer.
Here’s the recipe!
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 8 ounces fresh mozzarella, sliced into 8 slices
- 1 – 12 oz jar of roasted red peppers sliced into 1 inch pieces (about two whole red peppers if you roast your own)
- 1 bunch of basil, whole leaves
- 1/4 cup fresh grated parmesan
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- Salt and pepper for seasoning
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Grease a 9×12 casserole dish.
- Cut a pocket into the chicken breasts by slicing into the long side of the breast, stopping just about 1/4 of an inch from the opposite side.
- Lay chicken breast in casserole dish opened up.
- Sprinkle the insides of the chicken breast with 1/2 of the Italian seasoning and salt and pepper.
- Add roasted red pepper, basil, and 1 slice of the mozzarella to the one side of the chicken.
- Fold the chicken over, making sure that the mozzarella, basil and roasted red pepper remain in the pocket. Sprinkle with the remaining Italian seasoning.
- Bake chicken for 30-40 minutes (until chicken is no longer pink).
- Remove from oven and turn the oven to a high broil.
- Top chicken with remaining mozzarella slices and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
- Broil until cheese is browned and bubbly, about 5 minutes taking care not to burn.
Source: recipe adapted from Cheese Cutter Corner