Looking for a recipe that will provide meals for the week? This Chicken Tortilla Soup is loaded with veggies in a thick, rich broth, and will definitely do the trick. Change it up by serving with rice, sweet potatoes, or tortillas.
- 2 TBSP canola oil
- ½ yellow onion, diced
- 2 small carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 pieces celery, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced (seeds and stem removed)
- 1 yellow bell pepper, diced (seeds and stem removed)
- 2 TBSP chili powder
- 1 ½ TBSP cumin
- 1 TBSP agave or honey
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 2 TBSP all-purpose flour
- 1 box (32 oz) reduced sodium vegetable broth
- 1 can (15 oz) corn, with liquid
- 1 can (15 oz) fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 can (15 oz) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (4 oz) diced green chilies
- 1 pound chicken breast, diced
Optional garnishes: fresh chopped cilantro, light sour cream, tortillas
- Heat the canola oil in a large soup pot over medium heat. Add the onions, carrots and celery and sauté for 5 minutes.
- Add the red and yellow bell peppers to the pot and sauté another 5 minutes.
- Stir in the chili powder, cumin, agave or honey, salt, pepper and flour until the veggies are coated. Let cook for one minute until the spices are fragrant.
- Stir in the vegetable broth, scraping all the bits from the bottom of the pan so they dissolve into the broth.
- Add the corn, with the liquid in the can, the diced tomatoes, black beans, chilies and diced chicken breast. Cover and let simmer for 30 minutes. Stirring every 10 minutes.
- Turn off heat, uncover and let sit 15 minutes before serving.
- Serve with fresh cilantro and a dollop of light sour cream if desired.
- If serving with tortillas, toast the tortillas in a skillet before serving over the top of the soup.
Source: Triathlon Competitor