Quiche is a great summer meal. Perfect for any time of day. Served in the morning with a cup of coffee and some toast, at lunchtime with a light salad or for dinner with a cup of hearty soup, quiche is perfect.
This recipe for Chicken and Broccoli Quiche is a bit unique because it uses chicken as an ingredient. Often a quiche calls for ham or bacon. Adding chicken to this quiche definitely takes it into the lunch/dinner time arena. This quiche offers a nice change from the traditional quiche.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 small onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- coarse salt and fresh black pepper
- 2 cups cooked chicken, cut in bite-size pieces or shredded
- 2 cups cooked broccoli florets, cut in bite-size pieces
- 1 + 1/2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 pastry crust
- 4 eggs
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 3/4 cup milk
- 3-4 slices bacon, cooked but not crispy (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Melt the butter in a small skillet and saute the onion and garlic until tender seasoning well with salt and pepper.
- In a large bowl mix the chicken, broccoli, both cheeses and onion/garlic together. Season lightly with salt and pepper.
- Fit a 9-inch deep dish pie dish with the pastry crust. Add the filling and spread out evenly.
- Whisk the eggs, heavy cream and milk together. Slowly pour over the filling. Use a spoon to make sure the filling and egg mixture is distributed evenly. Place the bacon slices over top and push them down gently into the filling.
- Bake 50 – 60 minutes until center is set and top is lightly golden. If the crust begins to darken too much place aluminum foil loosely over the top.
- Allow to cool and set 10 minutes before slicing.